About the program:
- Property checks are offered to Cape May, West Cape May and Cape May Point residents.
- As calls for police service allow, Cape May Police Officers will perform a periodic inspection of your property while you are away including:
- A perimeter check
- Physical and/or visual check of all doors and windows
- Verification of vehicles left on the property
- Verification of any people found on the property
- Should the need arise; we will have the information available to contact you or another responsible party.
- Only portions of the residential property with direct access will be checked.
The Property Check service is NOT:
- For business properties
- For use by owners of rental properties
- For homes that are currently listed with a realtor
- A guarantee that the property is safe or that it will not be burglarized
- A guarantee that the property will be checked
- A substitute for an alarm system
- Property checks are ONLY offered for residences that will be UNOCCUPIED for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- Property checks will not be provided for citizens that have friends or family that will be at the residence regularly for such things as mail retrieval, watering plants, caring for animals, yard work, or occasionally staying overnight.
- You will need to make arrangements to have the driveway plowed of snow during the winter months so that officers have access to the property.
- You will be responsible for contacting the Cape May Police Department if you will be returning to the residence prior to the end date of your request (609-884-9500).