Golden PD Takes Part in CALEA Accreditation Assessment
Golden, Colo. – March 8, 2021 – The Golden Police Department (GPD) is pleased to announce a team of assessors from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA®) will be evaluating our Department from Monday, March 22, 2021, to Wednesday, March 24, 2021. During their virtual assessment, the CALEA assessors will examine all aspects of the Golden Police Department’s policy and procedures, management, operations, and support services to determine if we continue to meet CALEA’s standards for law enforcement agencies as part of a voluntary process to gain accreditation - a highly prized recognition of public safety professional excellence.
The GPD voluntarily participates in this process by complying with approximately 368 standards established by the commission to gain accredited status. The standards cover virtually all areas of the Department’s operations and administration, including patrol, investigations, communications, finance, recruiting, personnel, and training. The GPD has already undergone an extensive series of four annual web-based assessments by CALEA Compliance Service Members. The virtual on-site assessment is the final step in gaining re-accreditation status. The GPD first became accredited by the commission in July 2008 and has maintained this status continuously since that date.
As part of the assessment, department personnel and members of the community are invited to offer comments at a virtual public information session. The session will be held on Monday, March 22, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. inside Council Chambers at City Hall, 911 10th Street, Golden, CO 80401.
Persons who are unable to attend the public meeting and would like to provide comments to the assessment team may do so by:
- Joining the public information session through a Cisco Webex virtual meeting on Monday, March 22, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. by using the following link: https://cityofgolden.webex.com/cityofgolden/onstage/g.php?MTID=e5415154ec46f072e874883242f62584c.
- Calling (303) 384-8101 on Tuesday, March 23, 2021, from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 pm. This is an unrecorded line and comments will be taken by assessment team members.
- Persons wishing to offer written comments about the department’s ability to meet the standards may also send them to: CALEA, 13575 Heathcote Blvd, Suite 320, Gainesville, VA., 20155, care of David Wolf and Andrew Spiess.
- You may also e-mail your comments directly to the CALEA Commission at email@example.com. Please put “Golden (CO) P. D. On-Site” in the subject line.
Please note, all comments must address the Department’s ability to comply with the standards. A copy of the standards may be made available upon request. If you would like to review the standards, please contact Mark Derham, Accreditation Manager for the Golden Police Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 384-8084.
About the Assessment Team
The assessment team is comprised of public safety practitioners from outside of Colorado, who are specially trained in CALEA’s standards. The assessors will speak with the general public, community leaders, and interview agency employees.
The assessors are:
- Team Leader; Colonel David Wolf, Chief of Police, Olivette (MO) Police Department.
- Team Member; Mr. Andrew Spiess, Lieutenant (Ret.), Virginia Beach (VA) Police Department.
Once the CALEA assessors complete their review of the agency, they report back to the full commission, which will then decide if our agency is to be granted accredited status. Should the commission award accredited status to the Golden Police Department, it will be the Department’s 5th consecutive award.
For more information regarding CALEA, please visit www.calea.org .