Vacation Safety Tips
Before Leaving, Secure Your Residence
- Have good locks on doors and windows.
- Make sure your house looks lived in, not empty.
- Leave shades and blinds in a normal position.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your house.
- Test your smoke and burglar alarms.
- Stop ALL deliveries – mail, newspaper.
- Arrange for someone to mow your lawn.
- Have your neighbor put your garbage cans out/in.
- Plug in timers to turn lights and a radio or TV on/off.
- If you have call forwarding on your phone, forward your phone calls to a trusted friend or relative.
- Don’t announce your absence on your answering machine.
- Ask the police department to place your house on a “Vacation Watch“.
On the Road
- Never carry large amounts of cash; use travelers checks.
- Do not stop to offer help to a stranded motorist. Go to the nearest telephone and call for help or use your cell phone.
- If your car breaks down, raise your hood and attach a white flag to the antenna or door handle. If someone stops to help, it is advisable that you stay in your locked car and ask them to call police or a garage. If you must abandon your car, keep all passengers together.
- Do not carry your plane tickets or passport in open view.
- Females should carry their purses under their arms.