Ride Along Program
The Golden Police Department permits citizen ride-alongs with police officers. The purpose of the program is to provide interested citizens with insight into the operations of the department. The department hopes that this type of interaction is both informative and enjoyable.
Riders should be fully aware of the conditions and circumstances under which the program operates, which include:
- You will be assigned to ride with a police officer of the department. The officer will attend to his/her normal duties and will respond to all calls for service to which he/she is assigned.
- Police officers can be, and often are, assigned duties which involve danger and serious risks. The officer with whom you are riding is no different. The officer will not avoid or disregard duties which involve emergencies or danger simply because you are accompanying him/her.
- While every effort will be made to ensure your safety, the police officer’s first responsibility will be to carry out his/her assigned duties.
- The officer you accompany will be happy to discuss his/her duties and responsibilities insofar as time permits. If some emergency should arise, you must immediately and without question,
- comply with any orders or directions given to you by the officer. This is for your own safety.
Citizens who are 16 years of age or older can obtain a waiver and release form from Golden Police Department Records, located at 911 10th Street in Golden. A criminal history will be completed on each applicant to determine eligibility to ride. The waiver must be completed at least one week prior to the requested ride-along date in order to allow for paperwork processing. Other guidelines for the ride-along will be provided with the waiver.