The Records Division is responsible for the retention and release of Criminal Justice records and the release of information to the public, insurance companies and other law enforcement agencies. The Records Division only releases records maintained by the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Fremont County Detention Center.
7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday – Thursday
7:30 am to 1:00 pm Friday
**Closed Weekends and Holidays**
When Will My Report Be Available?
Please wait at least 14 business days from the date of incident to allow sufficient time for (submission, review, corrections and approval) before submitting a record request.
Records are not released immediately upon request. Most requests will be processed within 3 to 7 business days. Some exceptions will apply depending on various factors such as, a request is large and broadly stated, or the status of the investigation is ongoing or active including, but not limited to:
- Juvenile, sex assault, and other major case crimes (i.e. Homicide) which will not be released without proper authorization and completion of the investigation and/or judicial proceeding in Colorado Court.
- The request was submitted prior to the 10 days processing period from the date of incident which requires (Deputy submission and Sgt. review and approval).
How to Request a Copy of a Report
The following forms contain more information on how to request a copy of a report.
Information on how to submit a Record Request
*NOTICE: Law Enforcement Agencies and Criminal Justice Agencies may submit an official request on Department letterhead (please include your agency ORI # on your request).
All records will be screened and may have areas redacted prior to being released including, but not limited to, information concerning juveniles, sex assault victims and other confidential information. All records are released pursuant to Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act (CCJRA), C.R.S §24-72-301, et seq., Colorado Open Records Act (CORA), C.R.S §24-72-201 and Children’s Code Records and Information Act, C.R.S §19-1-301.
Fees must be paid in full before the records will be released, unless alternative arrangements have been made through the Records Custodian.
Forms of payment accepted
- Cash, money orders, cashier checks
- Attorney checks from an operating account
- Business checks (I.e. insurance companies)
- ONLY local Fremont County personal checks with a Fremont County printed address will be accepted (Out of County personal checks will be returned to the sender and delay your request being processed).
Make checks or money orders payable to “Fremont County Sheriff’s Office.”
Please mail the signed and completed form, with the enclosed fee to:
Fremont County Sheriff’s Office
100 Justice Center Road
Canon City, CO 81212
Please contact the Records Section at 719-276-5521 or 719-276-5525 if you have any questions.