The Town of Culpeper has not always had a Police Department. Prior to the formation of the Culpeper Police Department, a Sergeant and Constables served the town's law enforcement needs. On June 15, 1956, Roy F. Jamison was named Chief of the Culpeper Police. At the time the Police Department was formed the Town of Culpeper was just under 1 square miles and had one stoplight that was manually operated.
Since 1956 the Police Department has had four more Chiefs of Police. The second Chief of Police, Charles B. Jones, took over management of the Police Department on January 1, 1980 and served in that capacity until his retirement on December 31, 2000. Lt. Chris Jenkins served as interim Chief until the Culpeper Town Council hired Daniel V. Boring on March 5, 2001. Chief Boring served as Chief of Police until December 31, 2006. Once again Captain Chris Jenkins served as interim Chief until Chief Scott H. Barlow took over the duties as Police Chief May 14, 2007 until June 1, 2010. Captain Chris Jenkins was appointed interim Chief until his appointment to Chief of Police in September 2010.
In the years since the Police Department was established, the town has grown to 6.8 square miles and the staff of the Culpeper Police Department is now in excess of 50 members.
The Culpeper Police Department is internationally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement (CALEA). The Department was first accredited by CALEA in 2005 and then again in 2008. They received Advance Accreditation in 2011, 2014, and in 2017. The Department is currently in the process of obtaining their next Advance Accreditation.